In search of a Tranquil Place- At Baudhanath Stupa

Spinning Prayer Wheels

 

Baudhanath Stupa-Before Earthquake

Hariti (Ajima), the goddess of smallpox

     
                                                                                                                                                  

After Earthquake

 
                                             

          A Priest Serving grains for pigeons at Baudhanath


 “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” -Augustine of Hippo

Today is 6th January, 2016. After studying for few hours and completing some household work, it was nearly 12:00 in the afternoon. “Still I’ve got a whole day to go!!”. So, I checked my wallet to make sure I’ve got enough money to visit Boudhanath Stupa (one of the holiest Tibetan Buddhist temple in Kathmandu).  In no more than 15 minute, I was ready for my trip to Boudhanath. After 10 minute of grueling walk from my home, I was at the Bus station. I got into a micro bus heading towards the Stupa. When I reached Boudha Gate (entrance to the Stupa), the place was crowded with local people and visitors. The entrance was transiently blocked by haphazardly moving traffic. Local markets were occupied by headstrong visitors who were haggling, amplifying the sound of traffic horns and barking of street dogs. Despite the crowd, I made my way prudently inside the Gate, toiling, pushing and contracting like a rubber ball. The winter sun was burning in the bluest sky when I felt the pressure of hot red fluid flowing inside my head. I was perspiring when I made my way out from the crowd.” What a relief!” I sighed. Then, I strode headlong towards the Stupa, ignoring every shops and people I passed through. Finally, I was in front of the Stupa, standing firmly like a pole, watching the stupa being re-constructed. Although, I was aware of the very fact that, the Stupa is being re-constructed, I was pulled over here by some kind of force, like gravity. I was desperately willing to visit Boudhanath Stupa and today I was there. It was lively to feel the tranquil air surrounding the Stupa. As I roamed around the Stupa, I heard soothing resonance of monks, chanting the Mantra, “Om Mane Padme Hum.” Many Buddhist women were seen holding Buddhist prayer beads in their palm, counting each bead, every time they recite the Mantra. Also, many Buddhist people and worshippers were seen spinning Prayer Wheels, while they walk round the Stupa. I saw pigeons, emblem of peace, flying around the Stupa, the site of which complements the environment of Baudhanath Stupa.











Comments